Installing Openshot video editor

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Oct 30 20:56:04 UTC 2010

orschiro at googlemail.com wrote:
> Well having Openshot in rpmfusion would be great. But until this
> happens is there any way to use it already with fedora14?
>
> I posted the error message in my first post, but here once again.
>
> mlt-python-0.5.4-1.fc14.x86_64 requires python(abi) = 2.6
> openshot-1.2.2-1.fc13.noarch requires python(abi) = 2.6
>
> --
> robert
>
> 2010/10/19 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> In order to use openshot you must have mlt installed. mlt is the
>>> frontend to use ffmpeg as the backend. ffmpeg is not allowed in normal
>>> Fedora repositories for patent reasons.
>>>
>>> Cross-repository dependencies are a big no-no. No package in Fedora
>>> depends on packages in a third party repository.
>>>
>>> P.S. kdenlive also uses mlt.
>>
>> Oh well... I installed it remotely from work so I'll try it out
>> tonight. I looked at kdenlive's website and it looks like a good
>> program but probably more powerful than I need for basic editing of
>> family videos. If openshot works for my needs I'll petition for it to
>> be added to RPMFusion.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

I built own Openshot v1.2.2 RPM package (due to F14 2.7 python), and mtl
package too (as seems this one in rpmfusion /mlt-0.5.4-1.fc14.i686.rpm/
is compiled for 2.6 python from fedora 13).

Instead of mlt-0.5.4 I download v0.5.10 from project pages, and
appropriate RPM packages was builded fine. And after installing, in
Openshot Edit menu is needed change melt command name (melt ->
mlt-melt), as reccomended Manuel Escudero in this thread.
Source and RPM packages I have accessible at URL {there I have some
other packages not yet present in Fedora):

http://fajn.hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/openshot/14/
http://fajn.hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/mlt/14/

Frantisek Hanzlik