another DNS problem

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Oct 31 02:30:40 UTC 2010

On 10/30/2010 06:16 PM, Hiisi Troll wrote:
> In the provided sendmail.mc file there's an option:
> define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.direct.ru')dnl
> I thought it relays all my outgoing mail to ISP smtp server. Or am I
> wrong here?

Try putting the smtp machine name between square brackets:

define(`SMART_HOST', `[smtp.direct.ru]')dnl

there is something about the square brackets and its use to either use
or keep sendmail from using the MX or an A record instead for the listed
host (sorry, I can't remember the details, only that it works!).  I use
it (the square brackets) for my ISP's smtp server and I can send email
out through it.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com