Aren't upgrades demanding too much restarts?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Sep 1 19:33:44 UTC 2010

On 08/31/2010 09:08 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Why not just do reboots at 3 in the morning and it just won't matter all
> that much.  I just have a cron script in /etc/cron.daily that checks to

No!  I'm often doing something at 3AM (granted I *should* be going to
bed before that time), and I hate it when I'm working on something the
the system goes down for a reboot without asking first....

> see if /var/log/yum has changed since the last reboot and then it does a
> reboot if nobody is logged in.  If I had certain long-running programs
> that needed to finish, I'd have to check for those too, but I don't.

Well, that's slightly better than the MS way of doing it.  (Yes, I have
been on my wife's computer when it decided that it was time to reboot
with 2 users logged in.)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com