Aren't upgrades demanding too much restarts?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 02:07:24 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 06:14 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>
>>> What exactly is ksplice meant to do?
>>> I yum-installed it today,
>>> and then ran "yum update" which installed a new kernel.
>>> I expected this to start running, but it didn't.
>>> Admittedly I didn't read any instructions.
>>>

>> Sounds very cool, and I had not heard of it before today also, but here
>> is the results of yum info ksplice:
>>
>> Summary     : Patching a Linux kernel without reboot
>> URL         : http://ksplice.com
>> License     : GPLv2
>> Description : Ksplice allows system administrators to apply security
>> patches to
>>              : the Linux kernel without having to reboot. Ksplice takes as
>>              : input a source code change in unified diff format and the
>>              : kernel source code to be patched, and it applies the patch
>>              : to the corresponding running kernel. The running kernel does
>>              : not need to have been prepared in advance in any way.
>>
>> Is it too good to be true?
> Sorry, but it sounds to me as though it is much easier to re-boot.
For most users, yes, much easier to reboot.
But there are hundreds if not thousand of situations
where a reboot is out of the question.
If you have not worked in very large database center with
thousands of clients all over the world, you will understand
why sometimes a reboot would be out of the question.