SELinux - a call for end-of-life.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 2 04:29:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 15:44 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Also there's not a lot of value in "you have been owned, your data is
> toast, your hard disk is erased"

I've seen that with anti-virus software.  It'll warn you that it
detected a virus.  But did it stop it?  No, the virus did its job.

I really do despair of modern computing, but it's really got beyond the
stage when you can completely "roll your own."  It has to work with an
OS, you have to learn all about working with that OS, and learn all
about the libraries you're going to use, and your compiler...

Tim, remembering the days of writing everything for hardware with no OS,
just basic firmware...  And typing in other people's software from a
book, instead of simply getting some file...  And compiling software
completely manually (looking up OP codes from the microprocessor book).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.