umount cifs

Jonathan Velleuer jovell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:13:16 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I'm using the cifs protocol from the samba-client package
(3.4.8-59.fc12.i686) on my linux machine (2.6.32.16-150.fc12.i686) to
mount a remote windows share drive.
Mounting and accessing the windows share through this protocol works
very well. I just noticed a while ago that umount of that drive might
not work entirely as expected. (not sure if it matters that the
windows share on the windows machine is formatted with the NTFS
format)

When I umount the windows share it disappears from the list when
invoking mount and also
# lsmod |grep cifs reports 2 instead of 3.

but cat /proc/fs/cifs/Stats  reports after umounting that Resources in
use CIFS Session: 1 and lists the share.

If I turn of the windows machine the load on my computer rapidly
increases from <0.05 to >0.30 and remains on this level for hours/days
until I turn the windows machine on again.

Too this sounds like that I'm doing something wrong when I attempt to
unmount the share.

So my question is if I am doing something wrong when unmounting?

Many thanks in advance,
Jon