OT ? I'm about this close to buying an iPad...

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Thu Sep 2 21:46:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The various vendors in the Linux camp really need to get their butts in
> gear and start delivering.   Hardware companies need to get their
> tablets OUT into the market.  Nokia et al need to get Meego OUT and get
> some nice apps written for it.  (Have you looked at the iPad and iPhone
> app store lately ?)  And the KDE camp needs to finish delivering on
> their vision for what KDE 4 is supposed to be.

If you want an iPad, go get one.

As for Linux based tablets, the Samsung Galaxy was released yesterday.
http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-announced/

Toshiba just showed off their Folio100 Android 2.2 Nvidia Tegra 2
tablet (available in October):
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Toshiba-Folio-100/

KT's Identity Tab is also on the way:
http://en.akihabaranews.com/58757/tablet-pda/kt-released-the-first-korean-android-tablet-the-identity-pad
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Toshiba-Tablet-Folio-100-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-and-KT-Identity-Tab/

Archos just released 5 new Android tablets:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/New-Archos-Android-tablets/

Hannspree has a tablet due in November:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Hannspree-Tablet/

Redstar is taking orders for their customisable, non-Android based Linux tablet:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/RealEase-Shogo-Tablet/

And that's just the tip of the iceberg..

On top of all that, later this year ARM's Core9 is getting a facelift
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Global-Foundries-28nm-ARM-CortexA9-milestone/

So, go get an iPad if you want :-)

-c