SELinux - a call for end-of-life.

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 12:04:41 UTC 2010

JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

SELinux has been the catalyst for this discussion, which touched on a broader
issue of Linux kernel in the context of UNIX philosophy.

Let me continue my thoughts, elaborate more, and quickly cut to the chase.

There is a need for two kernels under GNU and UNIX/Linux philosophy umbrella:
- the current Linux monolithic kernel
  A brainchild of Linus, for which we admire him, and which we will support in
  the future.
  We hope that Linus and Co. will take into consideration our concerns
  regarding its size, integration and maintainability of the kernel, system,
  and user spaces.
  This baby has become a grown-up, is here to stay, guided and supported by
  Linus & Co., and will serve us for long time to come.
- a new Linux micro kernel
  It will address a different architecture of kernel, system, and user spaces.
  There is a lot of know-how, theoretical and empirical research, and
  experience in this area available.
  The Linux community (professional and amateur) went thru trenches and is
  experienced as well.

A call to Linus for action.

I think the time for a new Linux micro kernel has come.
It will spark a new wave of social and technical innovation in and around it,
as your kernel dit.

Put on your thinking cap. Go to your finnish woods. There is a lot of oxygen.
Touch the trees. Talk to them.

Then go back and call on your cats (I mean your Linux lieutenants) to help.
There will be a tumult for some time, but they will show up, just watch
the sparks in their eyes.

You do not need to think and talk too much about monolithic and micro kernels.
You have done it already many times, it is a strategic issue.
Decide if the time is right to start the next phase of evolution under
the umbrella of what we know today as GNU and UNIX/Linux community movement,
but as if you had one week time limit (kind of yes or no, no maybe).
If you do not, somebody else may take the initiative, even move it in
an unwanted direction, leave you in the dust of history.

The purpose of it:
- start a Linux micro kernel soon (I mean really soon, this time for good)
- reorganize and dedicate some Linux brain power to that end
- decide about a project leader and/or let him emerge from a broad UNIX/Linux
  community (there will be a tumult, but the cats will come back again)
- let the leader start organizing community around it - they are there, they
  will respond and show up (as they did to the call by Linus when he started
  his brainchild).

Good luck.

In the meantime, for those of you inclined, a modest proposal.

watch her eyes ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AOCu1If80

JB