GNOME Terminal alternatives?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Sep 9 04:15:42 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 08:15 AM, Alex wrote:
> Some time ago I posted the message below, and still haven't been able
> to find the answers to the Terminal configuration questions that I
> have, and hoped someone might have some ideas. Is there an alternative
> that might be better suited for what I want to do, without requiring
> creating an .xtermrc from the command-line?

I don't believe gnome-terminal uses xtermrc.

> - How can I disable the automatic conversion of email address and URLs
> to hyperlinks?

I don't believe you can.

> - How can I make the mouse scroll wheel be used for scrolling back
> through the terminal buffer, rather than acting as an up arrow?

That's what it does in the default configuration.

> - How can I change the terminal bell sound?

I don't believe you can.  You can turn it off if it bothers you.

> - How can I configure the terminal so copy is performed by simply
> highlighting the text with the mouse, and paste is done through
> shift-insert?

That's what it does in the default configuration.

 > I understand the default is to press the mouse scroll
> wheel, but I would prefer the method I've described, and the scroll
> wheel on my mouse apparently doesn't always properly work -- sometimes
> it simply does not paste, and I have to do it a few times. I don't
> understand why, because it's a brand new mouse (MS Wireless 5000).

The wheel is probably too sensitive.  If it sends scroll up or scroll
down, you won't get a mouse-button-down event.

> - I found a link to copy and paste between a terminal and Windows
> running in a VM, but isn't there a better way than installing and
> running a separate program on both Windows and Linux for this purpose?
> http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/copy-and-paste-between-vm-and-host

No.  There's currently no direct way to do that.  The easiest way is
probably to enable RDP on your Windows guest and use rdesktop to access
it rather than the VNC console provided by kvm.