grub not showing ubuntu partition

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 17:23:49 UTC 2010

On 09/09/2010 06:20 AM, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
> Recently I have installed Fedora 13 in my desktop, along side
> previously installed Ubuntu 9.04.
> PROBLEM:
> 1) After installing Fedora, rebooting the system does not come up with
> usual grub list of OS's and I can't log into ubuntu. I can only log
> into fedora though I can find the ubuntu partition and even browse my
> files there.
>
> Possible Cause:
> 1) At the time of fedora installation there was a step where the
> installation program asked to select/deselect
> INSTALL BOOTLOADER ON dev/sda and come up with an edit/add option in
> boot loader operating system list.
> 2) As an end user I prefer the default option for the installation
> which in this step assumes there is no other OS in the system and
> thereby ignores my ubuntu partition on the grub list.
> 3) Kindly give me some step by step instruction other than
> reinstalling everything to boot into ubuntu.
>
> I have gone through the fedora installation guide where some command
> line solutions have been suggested.
> Can anybody suggest some other solution for a novice like me?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion

How about adding an entry in grub.conf that is similar
to how we boot windows from grub:

title Ubuntu-9.04
         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
         chainloader +1

I do not know which disk/partition your ubuntu is on,
so you have to adjust (hd0,0) accordingly.

This will work, if you installed ubuntu's bootloader on it's partition.