Reset grub?

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 07:43:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

After an update recently, I have a desktop that won't boot. After some
investigation, grub.conf was zero length. I recreated it to the best
of my ability, although it still doesn't boot. It now not only does
not boot, but doesn't even provide the grub prompt, It doesn't print
anything. It just sits there after the basic POST.

I tried booting from a rescue disk, uninstalling all the installed
kernels and reinstalling the default kernel from FC13, but it hasn't
helped. How can I reinstall grub? Will removing the grub and grubby
RPMs do this for me?

My root partition is /dev/sda1, so the root line would be "root
hd(0,0)", correct?

Thanks,
Alex