Reset grub?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 20:35:34 UTC 2010

On 09/10/2010 12:39 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I tried booting from a rescue disk, uninstalling all the installed
>>> kernels and reinstalling the default kernel from FC13, but it hasn't
>>> helped. How can I reinstall grub? Will removing the grub and grubby
>>> RPMs do this for me?
>> Boot from the rescue CD.
>> Let it mount your fedora.
>> It will be mounted as /mnt/sysimage
>> do the following:
>>
>> chroot /mnt/sysimage
>> grub-install --recheck /dev/sd?
> I've done this, and it has reinstalled the boot loader, so it now
> provides me with boot choices.
>
> Alas, it still doesn't boot. I think I really need to rebuild the
> grub.conf. How can I do this?
>
> I created a basic boot entry like this:
>
> title Fedora (2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64)
> 	root (hd0,2)
> 	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64 ro root=/dev/sda1
> 	initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64.img
>
> This results in the system booting, but ultimately results in just a
> blank screen with a blinking cursor. It mounts the root filesystem,
> prints "Welcome to Fedora", starts udev, then shortly after goes
> blank.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
At boot time, when you see the grub boot menu,
press any key to stop automatic boot.
position the cursor at the line of linux you want to boot.
press e to edit that line.
then position the cursor on the line that has the kernel boot parameters.
press e to edit that line.
now the cursor is at end of the line. Append a space followed by -s
press enter
press b

now it will (should) boot into single user mode.

If it does, then your problem is probably cause by failure of gnome
to start or X does not support your graphics chip, ...etc