upgrade gcc on fedora core 4

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 02:47:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:38:39 +0200
Rossella Noschese <noschese.rossella at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've a question. At work we have a fedore core 4 release on a 64-bit
> machine. We need now to upgrade the compiler. We have GNU Fortran 95
> (GCC 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8)). We need at least gcc version
> 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42). I'm not a great shell user, so can
> you help me? How do I get this upgrade?
> Thanx in advance,
> Rossella.

The easiest way is to install CentOS 5 (or Scientific Linux).  It comes
with

gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48)

It sounds like whoever is specifying the compiler is expecting a RHEL 5
or compatible system.  RHEL is still supported and receiving regular
patches.  Since you are running an EOL FC4, I'm guessing that paid
support is not important to you, so look at the free rebuilds.

As you may have gathered from the other followups, updating the RPMS
piecemeal or rebuilding GCC is not for the faint-hearted.

Jim