FC12 Boot partition too small to Upgrade to FC13

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Sat Sep 11 20:31:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Tod Thomas wrote:

> I need to upgrade to Fedora 13 but my boot partition is too small (200 MB)
> and it needs to be at least 500 MB.  The boot partition is followed by an LVM
> volume goup composed of a 145 GB root LV and a 5GB swap LV. How can I
> 'safely' decrease the size of the volume group and increase the size of the
> physical boot partition?

You can resize a physical volume of a volume group with the pvresize
command, though this only resizes the contents and you will need to use
something like fdisk or parted to resize the partition to match.

However this will free up space at the end of the physical volume
partition, and to make the boot partition bigger you probably want to move
the start which is rather more tricky.

 	Michael Young