[Fedora] Re: [Fedora] Re: java (sun), java-openjdk and java-gcj

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 14:05:50 UTC 2010

* Walter Cazzola <cazzola at dico.unimi.it> [2010-09-13 09:56]:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Deepak Bhole wrote:
>
> >You need to create a dummy package that provides those things. The
> >jpackage compat packages will do that for you though, so once you
> >install them, it should be fine.
>
> I've installed them as you suggested and followed step-by-step the
> installation guide but nothing changed. yum is still trying to install
> gcj or openjdk when I try to install a java based library as bcel or
> javassist, try, e.g.,  yum install bcel
>
> Any other suggestion?

Just went through the bcel package ... looks like it has a specific
requirement on java-gcj-compat. There is no way around that requirement
at your endpoint.

However, now that you have the compat package installed for Sun, you
can set alternatives to use that jvm. Install everything you need, let
it install OpenJDK and GCJ, and then as root, run:

alternatives --config java
alternatives --config javac

And select the Sun version in both cases, and your system will use that
for everything from there on.

Deepak