Smartd error

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:30:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:38 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Yesterday I got an internal email from smartd telling me
> of an error on one disk (on my server):
> ------------------------------
> Device: /dev/sdb, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> ------------------------------
> I'm getting a copy of this email every hour.
>
> I'm not sure how serious a warning like this is.
> Also, I don't know how I can discover
> on which partition the problem occurs.
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Unreadable sector == bad sector.
You might want to look at the smartcrl output.

E.g. smartctl -a /dev/sda

In general, if the drive failed to relocate a bad sector (or slowly
running out of space to relocate sectors to) it should be replaced ASAP.
If the disk is under warranty, back it up and RMA it.

- Gilboa