Smartd error

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Sep 13 15:00:07 UTC 2010

Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Monday 13 September 2010 05:38 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Yesterday I got an internal email from smartd telling me
>> of an error on one disk (on my server):
>> ------------------------------
>> Device: /dev/sdb, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>> ------------------------------

> A few weeks back I saw a similar warning and my disk started showing bad
> signs within a few days. RMA it as soon as possible! You can take a look
> at the archives for my posts under "understanding smart logs" around the
> 15th of August.

Thanks for your response.
I looked up the thread you refer to,
but didn't find the responses you got particularly helpful.
Your own comments seemed much more useful.

>> Also, I don't know how I can discover
>> on which partition the problem occurs.
>>

> That might be trickier. You can find out the failing block number and
> deduce the partition from the SMART logs. Try doing a long offline test,
> and look at the logs.

I've started that, thanks.
I'll see how it goes.

I only have 1 bad sector,
where I see that you had over 100.
Still, I'm going to back up my disk onto a USB drive.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net