[Fedora] Re: [Fedora] Re: [Fedora] Re: [Fedora] Re: java (sun), java-openjdk and java-gcj

Walter Cazzola cazzola at dico.unimi.it
Tue Sep 14 09:02:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Deepak Bhole wrote:

> * Walter Cazzola <cazzola at dico.unimi.it> [2010-09-13 10:14]:

>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Deepak Bhole wrote:

>>> However, now that you have the compat package installed for Sun, you
>>> can set alternatives to use that jvm. Install everything you need, let
>>> it install OpenJDK and GCJ, and then as root, run:

>>> alternatives --config java
>>> alternatives --config javac

>>> And select the Sun version in both cases, and your system will use that
>>> for everything from there on.

>> uhm, yes this is a solution even if the compat package wasn't necessary
>> another alternatives is to install the packages without yum (tgz) but I
>> prefer to keep you to have the automatic updating of at the libraries.

> What do you mean? Alternatives wouldn't work without the compat package
> installed as the Sun RPM does not set it up.

> With the compat package installed and alternatives set manually, the
> links go into manual mode and do not change when newer JDKs are
> installed. That means that you can then yum update as often as you want
> without having the JDK links change from the Sun JDK.

seems that jpackage-utils makes the trick and no sun-java-compat package
is necessary.

or at least in my case it is working for my two jdk installations (5.0
and 6.0) and now I'll go on with the openjdk and gcj vms.

Walter

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail cazzola at dico.unimi.it Ph.: +39 02 503 16300  Fax: +39 02 503 16253