Can't connect DD-WRT Router to Comcast

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 14 14:49:11 UTC 2010

On 09/13/2010 07:24 PM, Jim wrote:
>   On 09/13/2010 01:52 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> On 09/13/2010 06:19 PM, Jim wrote:
>>>    FC13 / KDE-4
>>>
>>> I cannot get a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT  or a Linksys WRT160N to
>>> connect to a Arris TM602G/CT Modem.
>>>
>>> 1. I have called Comcast and they swear that the connection is not
>>> registered to my PC MAC address.
>>>
>>> 2. I cloned the PC mac address in my DD-WRT/Router.
>>>
>>> 3. I have pulled the battery out of the Cable Modem , reset,
>>> disconnected power cord and ethernet cable and wait 1 minute before
>>> plugging modem back in.
>>>       And put in ethernet cable and powered modem back up.
>>>
>>> 4. I then powered up the Router and reset it and I get no WAN IP
>>> addresses in router.
>>>       PC connects to router and I can login to router and check settings,
>>> No WAN Ip's in router.
>>>       I also Cloned the PC Mac address in Router .
>>>
>>> 5. I know for sure that the WRT54G is working because I have already had
>>> it connect to this Modem, but I had to move everything to a different room.
>>>
>>> 6. I know the Ethernet Cable is okay because, I can remove it from
>>> router and plug it directly into PC, and reboot PC and I have a Internet
>>> Connection, without having to pull the power plug on Modem
>>>       The ethernet cable is 25 ft. long because the Modem is up stairs
>>> and I can't relocate it , but that should not be a problem.
>> Have you compared your PC network configuration with that of the Modem?
>> I'm using DD-WRT router and this provides a lot of options, and
>> certainly for my network configuration it will not work after being
>> reset. So check the following
>>
>> Is the WAN connection using DHCP or fixed IP address, and the router is
>> configured correctly for that WAN connection.
>>
>> Is the LAN side of the router configured to use DHCP or fixed IP address
>> range, and does this match your PC configuration.
>>
>> Is the router configured to allow your PC connection, determined by MAC
>> addresses if set.
>>

>> For the record I'm using Fedora 13 and KDE, and manage my PC/Laptop
>> network connections using KNetworkManager.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> cpp4ever
>   The WAN and LAN is setup as DHCP.
>
> But in LAN section at bottom of page it shows  A DHCP Clients and it has
> the MAC# of my PC and Laptop .
>
> I also am using KDE/ NetworkManager

If those MAC addresses are for the network DNS then I suspect that's
your problem and you should remove them, and let your ISP provide you
with DNS via DHCP. Basically I suspect neither your PC or your Laptop
are configured as a DNS server and therefore cannot be used to resolve
web addresses. If you do require a static DNS IP address your ISP should
provide you with one.

HTH

cpp4ever