SELinux and google-chrome "Aw, Snap!" crashes

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:10:00 UTC 2010

John Austin <ja <at> jaa.org.uk> writes:

> Hi
>
> I have a fully updated F13 (64bit) machines using
> google-chrome 6.0.472.55 beta
>
> With SELinux in Enforcing mode
>
> google-chrome will crash leaving no error messages in dmesg
> or /var/log/messages or in the terminal if run from the command line
> (to be exact - only the startup messages shown below)
> No Selinux problems are shown by SElinux Troubleshooter
>
> Just the "Aw, Snap!" page is shown
> "Something went wrong while displaying this webpage"
> No keys, mouse buttons do anything useful within the display area.
> Selecting "Learn more" repaints the "Aw, Snap!" page.
> The outer window is active ie bookmarks, options can be accessed
> but the "display area" will not reload anything other than "Aw, Snap!"
> The top right "kill window X" does indeed kill the window
>
> The site I have been using for testing is
> http://www.justtheflight.co.uk/
>
> Type in "gat" into the "Departing from" and selecting
> London Gatwick
> causes the crash
>
> Switching SElinux to permissive mode DOES NOT crash the above site!
> but SElinux Troubleshooter shows no problems.
>
> As far as I remember the only things I have changed in SElinux
> were a couple of settings that were to do with my home
> directories being on NFS mounts.
>
> I have fiddled with almost all of the google-chrome option settings etc
> Also searched the web.  Found many references to "Aw, Snap!" but
> could not see anything that might help.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem?
> Advice as to how to debug further very welcome
>
> John
>
> Running in a terminal gives
> milos ~ 1# google-chrome
> /usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
> /usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available
(required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)

Hi,
some remarks and hints.

Make sure that you have the latest package (sometimes it gets updated every
day):
# yum list installed *chrome*
# yum update *chrome*

I noticed that you ran the browser from root prompt (#) - a Big NO-NO !

The "Aw, Snap!" problem has been reported since 2008 on all platforms (Win,
Mac, Linux) under all circumstances. It seems to be a general error.
So it is not related directly to SELinux, but it may be on your machine, in
particular if your home dir is on NFS (timeouts, locks, and similar issues).

Some hints regarding browser config:
- take a look at your config and change to default options for the time being
  Tools button
  Under the Hood:
  Content settings:
    JavaScript                     <--- allow all sites, no exceptions
    Plug-ins                       <--- allow all sites, no exceptions
                                        try all ON and all OFF
  Use DNS prefetching ...          <--- test with ON and OFF
  Enable phishing and malware ...  <--- test with ON and OFF
  Change proxy settings:
    Direct internet connection     <--- yes, if you can
  Translate ...                    <--- turn it OFF
- extensions
  Tools button - Tools - Extensions
  If you have any, try to disable them all,later one by one, then restart
  the browser and see what happens.

Debugging:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxDebugging
>From a terminal (gnome terminal, xterm, etc):
$ CHROME_IPC_LOGGING=1 google-chrome --log-level=0 --enable-logging=stderr >&
.chrom.log http://www.justtheflight.co.uk/
This will generate a log file .chrom.log in your home dir. If not empty, attach
it to your problem report.

You can run the browser without sandboxing (their idea about processes
separation and security); but because of that do it only for testing, not to
access important to you web sites:
$ google-chrome --no-sandbox http://www.justtheflight.co.uk/
You may run the browser in debugging session with it as well:
$ CHROME_IPC_LOGGING=1 google-chrome --no-sandbox --log-level=0
--enable-logging=stderr >& .chrom.log http://www.justtheflight.co.uk/

File a problem report:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list
New issue