FLAC on FC13

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Sep 16 19:20:54 UTC 2010

JD wrote:
> still, rhytmbox will not play flac.

My 50GB FLAC collection that I play in Rhythmbox would like to speak to you.

Your system is broken. What does this command output?
$ gst-inspect | grep -i flac

Rhythmbox utilizes gstreamer for media playing. Totem also uses
gstreamer for media playing. Gstreamer has had FLAC support for ages,
since, after all, FLAC is open source.

Xine, mplayer, vlc all utilize ffmpeg for media playing.

The basic gstreamer plugins should be installed on a default Fedora 13
system so FLAC and OGG (Theora and Vorbis) should play out-of-the-box.