New install

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 18 08:56:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:24:32 -0500
"Rod McCown" <rodmccown at aircanopy.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I just finished with a RedHat class and am trying to run the
> "Fedora 13 desktop" on the only thing that I have left in my office
> that I can get 512 MB of RAM on. The disk will boot my laptop, but
> unfortunately it is a company laptop and I cannot put anything else
> on it. But I know that the CD works. I just tried on a AMD K6-2
> 500Mhz machine and it says this is the wrong architecture. It says:
>
> This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
> cmov Unable to boot.    Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
>
> Is this CPU just too old for the version I'm using?

Yes: the cmov instruction is missing. The support for those CPUs was
dropped in Fedora 12, after a long discussion.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support

I don't know how many other distributions still support i586 hardware,
but you can run at least CentOS 5 on it (which still has a couple of
years left of updates left).
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor