Firsttime Fedora User - Trouble Logging On First Time

Jonathan Beatty jonathan.beatty at gallaudet.edu
Sat Sep 18 14:28:07 UTC 2010

I had the same problem. Group permissions on unix_chkpwd, I believe.
Here's how you can fix it:

Boot the computer and jam ESC untiL the GRUB menu comes up (you'll
know it when you see it). Select the topmost "Fedora" kernel (there
may be only one). Hit 'e'. Scroll down to the 'kernel' line and hit
'e' again. Add 'single' to the very end of that line, then boot it
(press 'b', instructions are at the bottom of the screen). Wait for it
to finish booting and it will stop at a line starting with "root@".

You're now in the root prompt. Type "passwd (your user name)" (for
example, I would type "passwd jonathan"). Type in a new password (can
be the same). Give me the exact error you get. If I'm right and
unix_chkpwd is grouped incorrectly, my next email will tell you how to
fix it.