Firsttime Fedora User - Trouble Logging On First Time

earlscott3 at comcast.net earlscott3 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 18 19:50:55 UTC 2010

I solved my own issue.

My main issue was (I think), was using a very long password and multiple characters/uppercase/lower case, etc.

Learnign Linux (Fedora) the hard way but Google send me to the Fedora forum everytime with a good answer.

If anyone gets in my same situation:

-I was using VMware to install Fedora 13.

-made a long username and over 16 character password

-install went great, no issues.

-booted up to the log in screen and could not guess my username password or enter the correct root password

-modified the .vmx file to give me 15secs to get into the BIOS (would not take less than 15secs)

-made a DVD from the .iso I was using that installed the VM for me

-selected the rescue mode

-got to the shell

-entered chroot /mnt/sysimage

-entered the passwd and got a authenticated error

-not really sure what I did next, I think it was entered su -

-did the passwd again

-entered sync

-entered reboot