Radeon ATI HD3650 or Nvidia 8600M GT

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 01:32:51 UTC 2010

On Sunday 19 September 2010 04:41 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> How about 2D performance for something like OpenOffice.org?   Would it
> still be better to get the ATI chipset vice the nVidia one or is it
> neutral at that point?

I use an nVIDIA Quadro with Ubuntu Lucid at work and the Radeon HD at
home with Fedora 13, XFCE on both machines and no compiz or any other 3D
desktop environment.

I _have_ to use the proprietary drivers for the nVidia chipset to get
decent 2D performance out of my dual monitor setup. Which mostly
involves things like Firefox, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, and some
programming tools.

Whereas at home I play 3D games and have very stable 2D performance,
again with a dual monitor setup, and all of what I do at work.

In my experience, with the newer chipsets the proprietary drivers are
probably needed for both manufacturers. But for older chipsets, I would
prefer having an ATI with FOSS drivers. And remember, all chipsets will
be old someday.

--
Suvayu