Problem controlling display/screen with xorg.conf

Dick Roark linuxguy.sg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:37:01 UTC 2010

Along with (apparently) other OPs, I am having problems with my F13 screen.
Fedora works well but I am not able to configure a 1280x1024 display. I have
generated xorg.conf using system-config-display.  When I put it in the X11
folder and reboot, the system stops short of booting a kernel and stops in a
non-GUI mode. With a clean install, I am able to install F13 with a 1024x768
and smaller displays. From the postings, I can see that others are having
the same problem.  My last attempt was from an nicely working 1024x768
system. I generated xorg.conf using system-config-display, edited it to
incude 1280x1024 and placed it in X11.  When I rebooted, the system came up
in a non-GUI init. I hope someone can supply the last step to this puzzle.
Thanks.