Hole in 64-bit Linux kernel provides root rights

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 00:03:23 UTC 2010

Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:10:32 +1000
> Chris Smart wrote:
>
>> If you're running the free service from KSplice, you'd already be
>> protected - and without even rebooting your computer :-)
>>
>> http://blog.ksplice.com/2010/09/cve-2010-3081/
>
> Unless, of course, you think that allowing dynamic modification
> of running kernels sounds like a source for security holes
> bigger than anyone has ever imagined :-).

Besides, it gives me a warm fuzzy to reboot right after installing a new
kernel.  I can immidiately see if something breaks and back out the
kernel if needed.  Delaying that testing till much later will just muddy
the waters immensely.  If something breaks it will be much more
difficult to figure out which update caused the problems.

Besides rebooting clears all sorts of sins.  I've seen too many systems
with high uptimes act funny (perhaps due to things like fragmentation or
memory leaks).  Periodic reboots fix all those things.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)