Rhythmbox doesn't quite share

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Tue Sep 21 01:27:49 UTC 2010

On 21 September 2010 02:08, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 16:29 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>> >
>> > You should. You overpaid hundreds of dollars for the same hardware you
>> > could buy separately for less. Those hundreds of dollars you could have
>> > saved could have went to a homeless shelter.
>> >
>> > I will always be mystified how people are suckered into buying Apple
>> > products. I guess that's why I'm not a Steve Jobs.
>>
>> I hate to go off topic (VBG), but you guys just don't get it.  We live
>> in the world and I make my money by knowing technology. And that's not
>> just Linux. It's also Windows and Mac. My main computer is Fedora, as is
>> my server, but I have a Windows notebook and a MacBook, because I have
>> to know those technologies, too.  OK, I'm done with this thread, because
>> Godwin is looking over my shoulder.
> ----
> I should have specifically stated 'Apple devices' and not just Apple
> products because computers are a different beast.
>
> The issue is that Apple sells closed devices with specific requirements
> to use a closed software package (iTunes) with undocumented and ever
> changing protocols (ie... daap such as we are discussing). This has
> resulted in varying times when you can't use iTunes to interact with
> other devices and software that have reverse engineered compatibility
> because Apple continually changes things without notice or documentation
> to the community. If you want to buy their devices
> (iPod/iPhone/iLockYouOut) then so be it but you should recognize that it
> is likely not to play well with the rest of the world.

It's a choice, as in life all things are.

I recently needed a new phone. I looked around and I liked what I saw of the
iPhone (my significant other has one) but for me, the fact I would need to run
iTunes to effectively use it was a blocker. So I *chose* an HTC
Wildfire as it is
based on Android.

I compromised on an Android device because I am not able/willing to use an
operating system that allows me to run iTunes - but that was my
*choice*. In this
case I did not choose Apple because it did not fit my self-imposed
technological
limitations.

I could equally well have bought a new Mac and a new iPhone, had I wanted to
make that compromise (cost isn't a factor), but I didn't because I
*like* my Linux
laptop and I am comfortable with it.

However, I still have an Apple Airport and I used to have an Apple Powerbook.
Those were devices I chose because I did not need to make the same self-
imposed compromise.

Choice is good.

--
Sam