Are all cores unlocked?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:58:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 09:26 -0700, JD wrote:
> On my notebook, which has an old 2.2 GHz athlon65 uniicore (3700+),
> cpuinfo shows cpu MHz as 798.103
>
> Does that mean that as I am typing this message, the cpu is running
> at only 790MHz??
> How an I speed it up?

First, please don't hijack threads. Opening a new thread is far more
useful.

As for your question, your machine is most likely dynamically
down-clocking the CPU in-order to reduce power usage. (In AMD's case,
it's called Cool&Quiet)
Once the CPU load increases, the CPU speed will increase.

Try this, open console, and type:
$ while [ 1 ] ; do echo -n ; done & sleep 10s; cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz ; kill %1

You should see the CPU speed increase.

- Gilboa