kernel update breaks virtualbox

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 06:42:43 UTC 2010

On 09/22/2010 11:01 AM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Dear Fedorians,
> I'm a new user of fedora 13 and I use a virtualbox installation on it.
>
> Unfortunately the last two kernel upgrades (2.6.34.6-54 and 2.6.34.7-56)
> didn't correspond to an upgrade of the kernel modules necessary by
> virtualbox (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, and vboxnetadp); this impedes the
> normal behavior of virtualbox.
>
> Running yum update I simply get the message that everything is up to
> date.

hi,

seems which your machine don't have installed the kmod metapackage for
VirtualBox-OSE:
kmod-VirtualBox-OSE-3.2.6-1.fc13.8.x86_64
try the following 2 steps:

yum reinstall kmod-VirtualBox-OSE
yum update

that will be install the kmod for the latest kernel if don't work use:
yum install kmod-VirtualBox-OSE-2.6.34.7-56.fc13.x86_64-3.2.6-1.fc13.8
to manually install the kmod for the current kernel as the today

if the two first steps works, always when update the kernel look if a
kmod for VirtualBox will be installed if isn't the case, wait one or two
days to update the kernel, the kmod lags sometimes.

regards,

Gabriel