[Fedora] Re: [Fedora] Re: kernel update breaks virtualbox

Walter Cazzola cazzola at dico.unimi.it
Thu Sep 23 12:25:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Do you have the dkms package installed on your system?  With it a new
> vbox kernel module should automatically be rebuilt when the kernel is
> updated.  I have it installed on my Fedora 12 64-bit system and it
> works just fine.  Of course, you'll need to have gcc, kernel-headers,
> includes, etc. for it to work.

I've it but in the last two updates it didn't work, I don't know why.
gcc, and headers are installed as well.

> This may help:

>   http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#id2649309

I'll give a look

> Also, installing the VirtualBox repo will help, too, but it's not
> necessary.  I have it turned off on my system, since I only use VBox
> for testing and evaluating OSes and software.  So, I don't really need
> the latest release.

this is also my case but if you update the kernel it is not working
anymore since it doesn't recreate the modules.

Walter

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail cazzola at dico.unimi.it Ph.: +39 02 503 16300  Fax: +39 02 503 16253