System time running fast

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Fri Sep 24 14:51:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HP computer with an AMD Athlon X2 dual core
> processor.  It has Fedora 13 on it.  It continually reports the
> time incorrectly and gets further off(fast) as time goes by.
> I doubt this is a Fedora problem, but am not sure how to
> fix this and thought I'd ask here.  I know how to reset the
> time, but want to know what can be done so there wouldn't
> be any need to do that.  Thanks in advance.

There's a kernel option for clock=pit that might help. I.e., add the
clock=pit to your kernel boot parameters then reboot.

Not sure if it applies here, but there are also lots of VMWare related
messages about clocks. They have recommended using a different
stepping algorithm to the kernel. If you google "Linux VMware clock"
there are quite a few hits.