openssl development libraries not found

David Christopher Chipman dchipman at ican.net
Sat Sep 25 02:34:04 UTC 2010

Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm on F13 and I'm trying to compile a package from the source. The
> package is delasa (www.dalesa.lk) and when I ./configure. I get
> 'configure: error: openssl development libraries not found'.
> This is the output of 'yum search openssl | grep dev'
>
> openssl-devel.i686 : Files for development of applications which will use
> globus-gsi-openssl-error-devel.i686 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL Error
> globus-openssl-devel.i686 : Globus Toolkit - Openssl Library Development Files
> globus-openssl-module-devel.i686 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL Module
> libpathfinder-openssl-devel.i686 : Pathfinder development libraries based on
> xmlsec1-openssl-devel.i686 : OpenSSL crypto plugin for XML Security Library
> tcltls-devel.i686 : Header files for the OpenSSL extension for Tcl
> nss_compat_ossl-devel.i686 : Development libraries for nss_compat_ossl
>
> and I've installed all the above listed packages and the error still remains.
>
> and this is the latter part of config.log
>
> /* confdefs.h */
> #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
> #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
> #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
> #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> #define PACKAGE_URL ""
> #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
> #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
> #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
> #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
> #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
> #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
> #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
> #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> #define HAVE_DLFCN_H 1
> #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/"
> #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
> #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
> #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_BN_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_EVP_H 1
> #define HAVE_MYSQL_MYSQL_H 1
> #define HAVE_UUID_H 1
>
> configure: exit 1
>
> Anyone to help to overcome this issue?

Hi there,

Could you please post the output of the "rpm -q openssl-devel" command?
If nothing shows up, then openssl-devel is *not* installed. I just tried
using the "yum search" command for something not installed, and i got a
simialr output to yours. Just becasue it shows up in "yum search" does
not mean it's installed, "rpm -q" does.  Best of luck!

-David