Need advice for which photo printer to buy!

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Sep 25 04:29:53 UTC 2010

g wrote:
> On 09/23/2010 12:50 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I currently have a HP Photosmart C5580 which is a decent all-in-one
> <snip>
>> Since in general HP printers are well supported, one of the printers
>> I'm looking at is the HP Photosmart B8550[1].
>>
>> My inlaws have one of the Epson Artisan printers and it seems to do
>> well so I'm also considering the Artisan 835[2].
> <snip>
>
> as for recommending a printer, i will not.
>
> having been in photo finishing business servicing equipment for over
> 30 years, i still like photo negative and photo paper prints.
>
> ink layers just do not have quality of emulsion layers.
>
> that said, and from what i have seen in ink layer printing it is
> getting better, but still has a long way to go.
>
> i will make a few suggestions.
>
> stay with a good name brand. in order of personal choice based on
> what i have seen, hp, cannon, epson.
>
> laser jet over ink jet.
>
> get a printer that is not an 'all in one'. you will pay a more,
> but if one fails, you do not lose both.
>
> get a printer that has 3 or 4 individual color cartridges, plus black.
>
> get a printer that has a high dots per inch, even if it's out put
> is a little slower. you want quality, not quantity.
>
> shop around for best deal on price. there are plenty out there.

Your points are well considered, I will add two more thoughts.

All-in-one: gives you the ability to put your functions in arm's reach, which
can save time if you are doing this for business or use it a lot.

I use a big LaserJet for b/w printing, buy the high capacity toner. I rarely use
11x17, but nice to have, and it prints the postscript itself. I do very little
color, so that's an issue for me. It also does double sided printing, something
I find useful for keeping my paper thin, rather than anything I use for
presentation, where pretty is more important.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>