Weird Network Manager Problem

Mike Dwiggins mike at azdwiggins.com
Sat Sep 25 06:50:05 UTC 2010

  This all started with a power out crash thanks to my Electrical
Company.  After power came back up I could not access the server via the
network.

When I first got to the console I could not log in as root nor could if
do an "su" as my user log in.  Using Webmin via localhost I found the
password hosed but I was able to reset the password via Webmin and after
a reboot I could log in as root.

I then found I could not ping my static IP from inside or outside.
Using the GUI at System/Administration/Network and checking the
Interface settings they were correct.  If I hit the DNS tab or the Hosts
tab I found bogus information.  I changed it back to the correct info
and did a save followed by a Stop/Start on the interface and gave
control back to Network Manager.

After a reboot the bogus info had returned!  I could only ping from the
inside the bogus IP address and of course could not ping it from the
outside! So I manually went to /etc/hosts and corrected the bogus info
that had a note "Added by Network Manager".

I also check /etc/resolv.conf and corrected the bogus DNS info.

I checked /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0  and the info
there was correct.

Reboot and all the bogus info is back, all with the "Added by Network
Manager" caveat!

Beat the bushes as well as I can I can find no info as to where Network
Manage conf files might be named and or located!

Anyone have any idea where they are or am I just going to have to kill
Network Manager?

This one is weird!