Unable to blank DVD+R R/W

Zoltan Hoppar hopparz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 08:11:38 UTC 2010

There is an holy dependency bug witch is integrated into Fedora from ages.
Let me explain:

There are two programs what you could use to write CD's, DVD's - one is the
deprecated: and well hated bogus wodim (what is an debian zombie fork of an
old-timer cdrtools), and the another is libburnia. If you look around,
between the gnome/kde programs mostly they are looking for wodim - but
couldn't tell you why. But sometimes they are using libburnia, witch
currently under development, but works like a charm.
The problem exists mostly because of wodim - there are many types of bugs,
what includes permission rights and many more types too. I don't know why
are the programs are still using this engine...

2010/9/25 Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>

> On 09/25/2010 01:31 AM, JD wrote:
> >   Have HP DVD/RW (DVD+R) 16X. It is an orange colored back, and the
> > recording surface is blue.
> > It was recorded using a windows software.
> > My DVD-R/W drive is an 8X drive for DVD write, 4x DVD Rewrite, and 24X
> > for CD.
> >
> > Now I tried to erase it:
> >
> > $ sudo wodim dev=/dev/sr0 blank=all -force
>
> Hi,
>
> if reading the wodim manpage, the -blank option is said to be for CD's
> only:
>  blank=type
>  Blank  a  CD-RW  and  exit  or blank a CD-RW before writing. The
>  blanking type may be one of:
>
> For erasing DVD's, I use "growisofs ... -Z ..."
>

> --
> Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
>
> http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes <http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/%7Ebackes>
>

> --