Computing cpu's clock in cycles per second

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 21:48:25 UTC 2010

JD wrote:

> On 09/26/2010 01:21 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:10:34 -0700
>> JD wrote:
>>

>>>     Since I have not been successful to determine the runtime
>>> cpu frequency using the fedora tools:
>>>
>> How about cat /proc/cpuinfo | fgrep 'cpu MHz'
>>
>> Of course, I have no idea where that number comes from.
>> I have some virtual machines which sometimes get a 0
>> for that number when they boot.
>>
> That gives the bios reported value at bootup, which is
> not the AMD sstaated clock which is 2.4 GHz.
> Once it boots, and I run programs to load the cpu to
> 99%, couinfo still reports 790MHz.
> Which is totally bogus!

What does your Bios say for speed of cpu?
It sure sounds like cool and quiet is on or C2 - C3 is still on

[amiga5 at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | fgrep 'cpu MHz'
cpu MHz        : 3600.164
cpu MHz        : 3600.164
cpu MHz        : 3600.164
cpu MHz        : 3600.164
[amiga5 at localhost ~]$

This is accurate and my Bios is reflecting this speed as well

Michael