How to stop NetworkManager from frobbing my /etc/resolv.conf

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Sep 27 00:55:53 UTC 2010

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht writes:

> Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:56:34 -0700
>> Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> PEERDNS=no
>>
>> Which you have to put in each ifcfg-* script managed by
>> NetworkManager.
>
> Or just put it in /etc/sysconfig/network and hit them all at once.
>
> There are a bunch of other nice things you might want to put in there
> while you are at it:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=xxx.example.com
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=$HOSTNAME
> IPV6_ROUTER=yes
> IPV6FORWARDING=yes
> PEERDNS=no  # /etc/resolv.conf
> PEERNTP=no  # /etc/ntp.conf, /etc/ntp/step-tickers
> PEERNIS=no  # /etc/yp.conf
> NETWORKWAIT=yes

The follow-up question is whether there are any plans for NetworkManager to
understand and handle network bridge devices. That's why I had to fight with
NetworkManager in the first place.

If NetworkManager grokked bridges, a lot of other things would fall into
place. I could set up a bridge, then attach the bridge to a virtual host
without having to do anything from a shell. Everything would've been handled
in NetworkManager's and virt-manager's gui.