installing HP printer, setup

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Sep 28 19:46:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 03:18:59PM -0400, Jim wrote:
>   FC13
>
> I have installed the HPLIP drivers for a Deskjet F4580 printer, but cups
> can't complete setup because of a file called foomatic-rip-hplip ,which
> doesn't  exist in fedora , but foomatic-rip does exist in fedora.
>
> This foomatic-rip-hplip is called from the the .ppd file, instead of the
> foomatic-rip file.
>
> I have to edit the .ppd file for this printer and change the
> foomatic-rip-hplip to foomatic-rip, WHERE is THIS .PPD file located in
> FC13 ?

I dunno anything about those programs you mention, but (in case you
haven't yet) you may find it helpful to use yum to install all the
foomatic packages you can find. and maybe look at the names of available
cups packges to see if any of them look interesting. and try a
"yum list available | grep -y hplip" and similar to see if there's
anything else interesting to try.

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.