F13 <-> Samsung Galaxy S via USB

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 11:27:27 UTC 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010 00:23:33 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk> writes:
> > If you look at the following extract from /var/log/messages, you can see
> > that it gets as far as seeing the two devices (Phone memory and Micro SD
> > card) but doesn't make them available.  The Toshiba shown below is the
> > memory stick that works.
>
> Did you use the Android pull-down menu and tap "USB Connected\nSelect to
> copy files to/from your computer"?  Without doing that the storage is
> still owned by Android.  If you select that you get to unount the
> storage from the android phone and make it available to the
> usb-connected computer for mounting.  The file system isn't dual-ported.
> Only one device can mount it at once.
>
> -wolfgang

Wolfgang

I haven't done this, and I can't find the menu option on the Galaxy.

I have found a number of posts saying to turn on USB debugging, and other
posts saying to not do that,

If I do this, it works fine, and it looks like as part of this it does release
the SD cards from Android. Unmounting from Linux then gives them back to
Android, which can then access them fine again.

I would like to be able to do this without having to use USB debugging, but
ultimately, I would like to know

1) why I need to do this in the first place. Surely choosing 'Mass Storage' on
the Galaxy should do this itself
2) Why it works first time under Windows without having to install anything,
as soon as I choose 'Mass Storage'.

--
Gary Stainburn