Announcing the release of Fedora 14 Beta!!

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Sep 29 16:17:13 UTC 2010

On 09/29/2010 08:03 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Isn't that an odd thing to do?  I would have thought that the point of
> having different pre-final release versions, including release
> candidates, is to progressively improve the version ie reduce bugs - as
> it gets closer to a final release?

It's a common practice.  The name "release candidate" indicates that the
package is deemed potentially suitable for release.  Testers check the
RC for bugs that should block the release.  If any are found, those are
fixed and a new RC is tested.  When no blocking bugs are found, the
release candidate is published as the release.  If changes were made
after the last RC, they'd be published without testing.  That would be
bad. :)