jackd can't find backend

Samuel Kidman samkidman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 01:59:59 UTC 2010

> [root at Acer mickey]# jackd -d alsa
> jackd 0.118.0
> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
> and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the application
> using it and run JACK again
>
> cannot load driver module alsa
>

> There are no other applications using the sound system.

Have you tried starting jackd just after login? Even if an application is
not making any audible sounds it can still using the sound card. firefox
does this.

Also I think you need to edit your /etc/asound.conf file to set up jack
properly. I haven't been able to get this to work properly either. I can get
jark started and running ok, but then I can't get it to make a sound.

Sam