Cant get networking working in Fedora14

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 1 14:01:38 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:37:46 pm reg at dwf.com wrote:
> Seems networking should just 'come up' on a new install.
> Let the user decide how to tighten up his security, Fedora seems to be
> taking the opposite approach.

Well, if this were a Fedora-wide issue you'd see lots and lots of threads on the subject, so it's likely localized to your situation.

There are a number of things you can still look for.  It seems to me that you have layer 2 connectivity issues, since you can't see anything on your LAN, and nothing else on your LAN seems to be seeing this box.

Do you have Wireshark installed?  If you do, start it up, point it at eth0, start a capture, and see if you see any broadcast traffic.  Go to that other machine, .17, and attempt to ping this box; you should see incoming broadcasts (for ARP) in Wireshark on this machine, .99.  Or use tcpdump on this machine like you did previously on another machine:

> Nope, tcpdump on another machine does not show anything coming
> from the machine.

If you don't see anything coming in, you may have a port negotiation mismatch with that particular Intel NIC (00:19:D1:75:E3:3E being your MAC address as listed by ifconfig; that's an Intel OUI) and your switch with the kernel driver in the Linux kernel included in Fedora.  To see what it's set up for, and which driver is in use, use:
ethtool eth0
ethtool -i eth0
ethtool -P eth0
in sequence; the first one will give you some general info, and the second one will tell you what driver is loaded and the bus ID of the NIC, and the third gives you the BIA (burned-in address), just to triple-check that the NIC has the HWADDR it's configured for.

Then check your switch (if it's a managed switch) to see what it's negotiating to.  Or perhaps you have port security enabled on the switch, or some other networking feature that's contributing to the seeming partitioning of you NIC.

As I've already deleted the initial portions of the thread in my fedora folder, I don't recall if you said this NIC worked with another OS, but even then I have seen issues with certain Intel NICs connected to certain switches in Windows before, where the NIC wouldn't always auto-negotiate properly; but it would under Linux, so the reverse possiblity is always there.  And it may be a malfunctioning NIC, as the Mythbusters say, failure is always an option.

As to earlier versions of Fedora working and this one not, it's a different kernel, possibly different drivers, and udev I'm sure has changed.

So I'm thinking, giving you've tried disabling all the security features built-in, that you have a problem at a deeper level, and it's not one that's there by design.

Lots and lots of people are experiencing networking properly operating after F14 install, myself included.  With multiple machines, and multiple types/brands of ethernet adapters; we just need to find the layer 2 issue you're having that looks almost like either a PHY misconfig/incompatibility or a layer 1 partitioning due to auto-negotiation issues....