OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:16:28 UTC 2011

I run F14 KDE for a variety of tasks including writing documents,
managing email, browsing, purchasing, research, some software
development, simple administration, etc.  I'm not a gamer.

I presently have 2 20" monitors on my desktop, each at 1680x1050, for a
total area of 3360x1050.  My computer has a GeForce 8800M GTS video
processor.

For the most part it works fairly well, especially in KDE, with the way
it allows each monitor to be its own work space.

It has come to my attention that we have a surplus in our technology
fund.

If you were in my position, which monitor configuration would you
select ?

a) Stay with the 2 monitors I have. (2x 20 inch, 3360x1050 total area,
cost, $0)

b) Upgrade to 2 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors, like the Dell U2410 or
similar. (3840x1200, cost about $850)

c) Upgrade to 1 27 inch monitor, like the Dell U2711.  (2560x1440, cost
about $850)

d) Upgrade to 2 27 inch monitors, like the Dell U2711.  (5120x1140, cost
about $1700)

e) Upgrade to 1 30 inch monitor, like the Dell U3011.  1560x1600, cost
$1300)

How does one find out the pixel limit of a video card ?

Thanks