Cant get networking working in Fedora14

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 1 19:51:17 UTC 2011

On 04/01/2011 12:21 PM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> On Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:37:46 pmreg at dwf.com  wrote:
>> >  Seems networking should just 'come up' on a new install.
>> >  Let the user decide how to tighten up his security, Fedora seems to be
>> >  taking the opposite approach.
> Well, if this were a Fedora-wide issue you'd see lots and lots of threads on the subject, so it's likely localized to your situation.
>
> There are a number of things you can still look for.  It seems to me that you have layer 2 connectivity issues, since you can't see anything on your LAN, and nothing else on your LAN seems to be seeing this box.

> So I'm thinking, giving you've tried disabling all the security features built-in, that you have a problem at a deeper level, and it's not one that's there by design.
>
> Lots and lots of people are experiencing networking properly operating after F14 install, myself included.  With multiple machines, and multiple types/brands of ethernet adapters; we just need to find the layer 2 issue you're having that looks almost like either a PHY misconfig/incompatibility or a layer 1 partitioning due to auto-negotiation issues....

I had a problem getting networking up on this box with an nVidia MCP79.
It turned out to be a port setting. I had to add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full port mii autoneg on
/sbin/service network restart
/sbin/ifup eth0

It was the 'mii' which was necessary in my case.

HTH

Geoff