OT? copy live ubuntu iso image to usb for boot

dexter dex.mbox at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 04:56:25 UTC 2011

On 31 March 2011 22:11, Ranjan Maitra <maitra iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I guess this would be unacceptable to ask in an Ubuntu mailing list
> and I was trying to get help with a Fedora iso but since F15 has been
> pushed back to be nice to mirrors because another distribution is
> releasing just before the original date, I thought I would try my luck.
>
> I am a loyal Fedora user but I have to install a Ubuntu live from an
> ISO. So, with Fedora, I know what to do. Download the live iso image
> and copy to usb using the following command:
>
> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr Fedora-14-x86_64-Live-LXDE.iso /dev/sdc
>
> and everything goes through fine, with a bootable iso image created in
> the process.
>
> But when I try the following:
>

> sudo livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr xubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso /dev/sdc

No that isn't going to work
livecd-iso-to-disk is only trained to work with fedora generated iso's
that buntu derivative uses a different squashed file system layout.

> Which is actually far less output and an useless (in terms of live or
> install) iso on the usb. It is however recognized as a iso, but nothing
> more useful than that.

told'ya :-)

> Any suggestions on how to do this with Fedora? I prefer commandline
> approaches.

Ah the commandline always where something wonderful happens :-)
here's what I did:
mount the iso
cp all files & directories to your bootable stick/media
install grub or syslinux to stick/media:
note ubuntu uses grub by default so you should already find a usable
grub.conf, It can also be called menu.lst in /boot/grub
In my case I used syslinux and modified the config according to the original.

...dex