[OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 15:08:45 UTC 2011

--- On Sat, 4/2/11, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"
> To: vmarko at ipb.ac.rs, "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Saturday, April 2, 2011, 6:28 AM
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM,
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > And finally, Fedora will not be the only distro where
> this happens, others will
> > follow eventually, just like they did with KDE.
> >
> > I don't want to play a prophet or to sound negative,
> but --- mark my words...
> > ;-)
> >
> > My advice is to just try to adapt to new Gnome, or
> migrate to KDE or some
> > other DE, and adapt to that. But don't weep and moan
> about Gnome 2, it will be
> > effectively dead very soon

I doubt it (but on Fedora *this is true*).  Many folks[*That have a comfort zone with Gnome 2.X*] will stick to Fedora 14 till they can adapt to GNOME 3 or move on to other desktops.  KDE 3 did not die, BTW it lives as trinity desktop:

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Some speculate that GNOME 2.X will live on as a fork?  it is possible but since we use Fedora many of us users will use what is here and unless we are willing to do some work on our own can use the alternative desktops or other ways of dealing with this.

>, my guess is by the time
> F15 comes out. ;-)
>
> There is one big difference - almost all graphics chips
> will handle
> KDE4 - but not all will handle Gnome3 and will enter
> fallback mode....
>
> --

Mike,

Your statement is confirmed :).  I have an old Pentium 4 machine with SIS graphics.  I installed TC1 Desktop and it went into fallback mode :), it works, but not like the others which are newer.  It seems that there are many more differences between KDE 4.0 and GNOME 3.0 and this is definitely one of them.  KDE 4.X works(drags), Gnome 3.0 goes into fallback mode, XFCE works too, but LXDE seems to be better suited for these cases?

The development is different, the models are different, but it is the wave of the future.  To effectively test and use GNOME 3, we need newer faster and efficient machines.  The older ones are not suited for it, or will go into fallback mode :)

Regards,

Antonio