ATI FirePro V3800 question.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:17:43 UTC 2011

On 02/04/11 16:26, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 15:18:05 +0200,
>    "Erik P. Olsen"<epodata at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I've bought this graphics card and it hangs my Fedora 14 system right at the
>> point where it switches to graphics mode. I wonder what I am missing because my
>> alternative system Fedora 12 on the same hardware works beautifully.
>>
>> I've found that ATI has issued a driver, Catalyst, for the card. Am I supposed
>> to download and install this driver?
>
> That's an rv830 based card which is fairly new to getting support in the open
> driver. Possibly in F12 the system was falling back to the vesa driver and
> in F14 the radeon driver is trying to use it but is broken. It might be worth
> trying an F15 live image
> (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2967483&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110401.17-i686-Live-desktop.iso)
> to see if things are likely to work when F15 is released. If not, your best
> short term option might be to try to use the catalyst driver in the
> RPMFusion repos. If it does work in F15, we are about two weeks away from
> the Beta F15 release and changes in the branched release should start
> being a lot more conservative.

Thanks.

I've found that on F12 I have mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed whereas on
F14 it is "only" mesa-dri-drivers. I've now installed the experimental version
on F14 and will change graphics cards tomorrow. Maybe this will solve my problem.

Is any doc available listing which cards are supported by the two mesa drivers?

--
Erik