Bootable usb stick with the fedora install

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:30:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:49 PM, mattias <mj at mjw.se> wrote:
> Yes I try to put the installer on the stick
> I do
> Dd if=cdimage.iso of=/dev/sdb
> Like the page says
> I don't have the link now

I have never had much luck with that dd method.  I do the following
and have not had any problems with this method since I started using
it a year or two back:

First I plug the usbstick in - and check the device name by looking at
/var/log/messages - let's say the device is seen to be /dev/sdb1.
Then *as root* I do the following (the # is the root prompt so the
command is after the "# ":
# umount /dev/sdb1
# livecd-iso-to-disk  --reset-mbr
/home/mike/Documents/install_stuff/f14-beta/Fedora-14-Beta-i386-DVD.iso
/dev/sdb1

If you have an oddball file structure on the stick you can reformat it
at the same time by adding the "--format" flag to the above command
(without the quotes of course)
Amend the path to the iso file to suit the location and name of your
install iso, and the correct device name for your stick.
This needs the livecd-tools package installed so ensure it is there
before you start.

This works flawlessly for me in f14, and it did in f13 also. When I
boot from the stick it just boots to the installer and off I go.

--
mike c