recording from a webcam, cheese, vlc

Guohua Tang tgh728 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 01:51:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

My Operating System teacher used FFmmpeg to record his lectures (both video
and audio). He wrote a blog post (in Chinese) about how to do it. Hope the
link will help you.

http://translate.google.com.hk/translate?hl=zh-CN&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://blog.sunner.cn/2010/09/screencast-lecture-in-linux/

2011/4/3 Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com>

> > 2011/3/26 Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to record from a webcam and getting terrible performance
> >> from Cheese and problematic performance from VLC. Is anyone able to
> >> either tell me how to get one of them working properly or suggest
> >> another app that will work? Details (hardware at bottom)
> >>

> On 26 March 2011 15:14, Guohua Tang <tgh728 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Maybe you can try FFmmpeg, see here.
> >

> Thanks, with a bit of tweaking I'm able to record with ffmpeg, though
> it's a pity this means I can't preview what's being recorded. However
> I'm a bit greedy and if I have to use the command line to be able to
> do this then I'd also like to figure out how to record synchronised
> sound from different sources. Anyone able to suggest how that might be
> done? Using sox and piping into ffmpeg doesn't work, video gets out of
> sync (also I've got some sox related problem about different rates).
>
> --
> imalone
> --

Guohua Tang
Research Center for Social Computing and Information Retrieval, Harbin
Institute of Technology
ir.hit.edu.cn/~tangguohua <http://ir.hit.edu.cn/%7Etangguohua> ---
icycandy.com